How should records be kept in a virtual marking registry?
Of critical importance to the patentee is creating and maintaining secure, proper registry records, including:
- Can the patentee prove the registry was always available to competitors?
- What documentation does the patentee have regarding how the data in the registry was maintained, who modified data and on what dates and times those changes were made?
- What protocols were used to ensure that information on the registry was secure?
- What processes are documented about how the data was published?
- What proof does the patentee have of how the registry appeared to consumers or competitors on any given date?
- What visitors accessed the registry? What IP address did they come from? And what information did the visitor view?
A high quality third-party provider addresses these concerns and should be able to offer ways to integrate into your existing platforms to keep the cost of implementing and maintaining a virtual marking strategy to a minimum.